Saturday, May 20, 2017

To Run or not Run, that is the question....

After almost 1 year of iliotibial band friction syndrome, I decided to get back in the game and try to work on my run discipline.  The triathlon was a success for me, not so much the time it took to complete.. but rather, that I did completed it !   If you want a challenge, the Triathlon is the a huge one, practicing 3 disciplines for a one event. 

That was a huge undertaking, and my training was effected by so many things the previous year and mostly for not being consistent in training with running. Running was my downfall, in fact, i think my running took longer then the quadruple distance of cycling did.


In January 2017, I was diagnosed with GAD ( generalized anxiety disorder)  I had realized that I needed to get back into exercise, and try and up my game. The true way to manage the symptoms is through exercise, eating right, and getting enough sleep. 


On a suggestion from by my friend, he had said, I should try the Sun Training program. Even though he suggested it last year, it fell on deaf ears, and i carried on trying to struggle through my injuries.

The Vancouver Sun run is a 10 km run that happens ever April, and has been a run I had participated in before in the early 90's with my company team. 

The training program was only 13 weeks, i learned enough to stay injury free and be able to meet the goal of completing the 10 km run. I met some great people in the group, the serious runners, i have stayed in touch with, and the rest, well maybe i will see them again next year.  

Overall it was great group of people and i took away a lot to learn more about running.

The training was tough, as we had one of worst winters this year. I had to learn to run in the snow and ice with cleats. However I stuck it through and make it to the end, did not miss one any training runs. 



Above: Waiting to move to the start line 
Right: Me & Coach Tina, she's such a inspiration and motivator to keep us going ! 


My story doesn't end here...... this was just the start !

No comments:

Post a Comment