Sunday, December 8, 2019

Nordicgirl Adventures 2019 Part 2 - March & April


March and April, I became a slave to my ultimate goal. Nobody said training would be easy and with May 31st just around the corner this would become my biggest challenge of my life. When I did my first triathlon, i nearly died, being that it was a very small sprint size, what's all the fuss I thought. For me being the fully motivated and sometimes crazy person, I thought, forget the Olympic size, lets head straight for the Half Iron .. needless to say i put everything into being able to survive that day, more on that in Part 3! 

My schedule was somewhat of what a hamster would endure on the wheel.. going around and around, and it felt like there was no stopping at all. Every single day.. don't stop ! keep moving.  
My swimming became my place to work out all my emotions, days of frustration, happiness and just general work computer related problems.  Only an IT person would understand this !

Keith, my best friend and my training partner.. did his best to keep me moving, but he had his own goals, and sometimes, it was hard to keep the momentum going, cause there was no one pushing me along. Days of slacking off came, usually, I crashed every 5 weeks, getting sinus issues and the odd cold.. but i managed to get back up on the horse and keep moving.

Keith and I did a practice run as a relay of the UBC Triathlon. Worst event ever ! Will never do that again.  I did the swim and bike, Keith did the run. You see after 3 years, i have been suffering with IT band issues, so running has been put on hold in my life, and still today, i don't dare go back to it anytime soon.

The day of the UBC Triathlon, i was freaking out. We left, it was hard to tell where I needed to be, what to do, once we arrived, I was able to check in and figure it out, but the lack of organization had befuddled me, as this is suppose to be the highly anticipated event to start the triathlon season.

When I started the swim, i placed myself in where i thought i should be able to hold pace. As soon as I hit the pool, i panicked, I was passed by many people, my heart rate jumped up way too high, the water was very cold, and to top it off, i had never swam in a 50 m pool !  somehow i made it through, my time was horrible and i was already disappointed in myself.  When i got out of the pool, we had to run outside and change in a tent on the cold cement. That was not pleasant. As Keith reminded me, go for comfort, so take the time, and put on the best clothes for the next leg.

The bike was next. that was OK. I can ride a bike, no problem, and luckily the snow had been gone for a day or two prior, so riding was good. Small hills and 2 loops. I managed to get a good timing on that. When i finished my first loop, i came barreling around the corner, and saw my co-worker and my work dog, standing there. I felt so empowered at that point, so i took off as a quick and went for loop 2.

The last leg, was up to Keith !  thank god for that... He left with a smile, and i went and stood and waited at the finish line for him. And as usual he arrived with a smile.  We were done! I felt relieved, but I was so pissed off about the swim, it took me days to get over that. 


No comments:

Post a Comment